Every week we pack up the kids and head over to Sports Blast for a some good fun. As soon as I mention the words "soccer game" to Patrick, he's excited to get out the door and go watch Daddy play! Daniel is playing in an men's indoor soccer league through the end of this month. He coordinated the team, got funding through Starbucks, and is sort of the unofficial coach/team captain. The team is a blend of Daniel's younger brothers, church friends, and Starbucks co-workers. It's been fun to watch them get out there and play, and I really enjoy seeing him excel on the field. There's a few of us that have been faithful to make it every week and cheer the guys on. Sometimes I have to wonder how much the guys really hear us out there, but Daniel has told me that a good bit of it does register. It's funny how watching the game can bring out the competitive side of me. I find myself willing them on, yelling and cheering and clapping in turn. "Go Daniel (or Micah, etc...)!" "Be aggressive!" "Get it out of there!" Come on guys,
talk!" If I'm frustrated, it's probably the latter... The teams they play have ranged from easy to downright dirty. (That was definitely a
loud game from the bench) I'm biased, but I'd have to say Daniel is one of the best (if not
the best) players on the team. He flashes up and down the field, coaches the other team members, leads, and usually scores at least 1 goal per game. I'm proud to watch him doing something he loves and doing it well. Isn't that one of the ways we bring God glory?
I think it's been good for all of us to enjoy this season, and hopefully it will continue for the next few months as well. As the guys play together and get a feel for the indoor field, they'll hopefully mesh better and learn to play more as a team. Some of the games have provided good learning opportunities and it's important to realize that the game isn't just about me showing off my ball skills. You aren't an "army of one" or anything like that. That's another lesson that is valuable in all areas of life: dying to self. I think the guys are working on that one, but they're making progress. I'm proud of our guys by the good sportsmanship they show. In fact, sometimes they're almost too nice! ;-) Even when we lose, I know that Daniel has tried his best and I'm glad to be there to cheer him on!


A future soccer player in the making. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment